Tuesday, September 07, 2010

an elected responsibility?

Recently, I've talked to a few friends about the concept of responsibility and what a responsibility truly entails. I know that there are two types of responsibility and I believe they shouldn't be confused for one another: there's the responsibility that exists by the nature of commitment and the type of responsibility each person uniquely holds by nature of the relationships that he/she finds him/herself in. So, in other words, there is both the type of responsibility that you have because you felt the desire/need (or even the innate responsibility) to commit yourself to (like a elected position or less directly, a job) and also the natural responsibilities as a man/woman would have to his/her family (also, a job could fall into this category as well); these are the responsibilities a decent person wouldn't deny, though they may be argued in the sense that natural rights/obligations exist only under a unique set of circumstances (i.e. oral contract--promises). **This is a highly debatable topic and I have debated it, but my post is simply my musings on the topic as they directly relate to my life**

The relationship between the two types of responsibility is where I wish to focus my attention... Natural responsibility should take precedence over not only personal desire but also over elected responsibility. By the nature of responsibility I believe that both commitments (natural and elected) are truly important (and as I pointed out, there are responsibilities that fall into both categories--such as when a father becomes a father, he may have become one by choice but it becomes his natural responsibility); here's the thing though: when you are overwhelmed, it is not your natural responsibilities that have to give. There is another pair of feet to fill the shoes of "most elected" jobs, but God created a person and chose where he/she would live and the unique relationships he/she would have and that is no mere statement to be overlooked.

When I make a promise to someone, by golly, it becomes my elected responsibility (responsibility is still a strong concept whether elected or natural) to see my words through; but really, as I see it, things come up and taking a person's words at face value without understanding that sometimes "things happen" has a coercive nature. I am trying a new thing out, living out this proverb: It is better not to make a promise, than to break it. Even my natural responsibilities can become overwhelming and since I have the uncanny ability of allowing others to use me co-dependently, I have started to monitor the things I say--hopefully leaving no chance for error in interpretation (wishful thinking, I know!). For such a reason, I am trying to abstain from close intimate relationships of the opposite gender, simply because I know that I am not ready for it; even my natural responsibilities can overwhelm me, never mind another (elected) responsibility, which, let me say, takes a whole lot of work! (Not to mention that I am refusing a few leadership positions offered to me at this time just so I can get my priorities in line, my ducks in a row as some would say). Well, yeah, everybody has responsibilities and with them come dependencies--you are not a free being as long as you live--sorry to break it to you. All I am saying is that priorities ought to be ordered!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is convicting. It's similar to my post on responsibility, yet so different. I often forget the importance of my natural responsibilities, and focus entirely on my elected responsibilities (as you know haha).

    My question is: what defines a natural responsibility, and when is it more important? Is a natural responsibility due to your relations, or also your friends? How do you discern that? Often, I also feel that God calls us away from seemingly 'natural responsibilities' in order to work for him. I guess those responsibilities change over time, too. My responsibility to my family is very different, because my elected responsibility of college has preceded that. Possibly, my responsibility to them now is spiritual - that of prayer.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see this comment until now! I do have thoughts.... many! Let me write a few down and write a follow up blog-post. In short, I very much agree with your statement, "God calls us away from seemingly 'natural responsibilities' in order to work for him." And when you start talking about the calling of God, I know I can't really write a thesis on how to do it (clearly!). I don't think anyone can. I'll better define how to distinguish the two types of responsibilities. I'll have time soon :P

    ReplyDelete