Thursday, July 22, 2010

Heritage and the Loss Thereof

My Grandad drives through the streets of Staffordshire, the old brick house he lived in with a glisten in his eye. His light hearted banter became strangely silent as he pulled past his childhood driveway. It's been years since he and his past have made such a strong reconnection... and I had the privilege of sharing it with him. As he came out of Cromer Rd. he turned his car and said "I'll take you to where your Nan lived." (She died when I was 11 and I can tell my grandad truly misses her) "Bloody hell, this drive seems longer than the walk used to be" he half-joked as the miles dragged on; his laugh was filled with heartache and his cough half-covered it. And there we arrived at my Nan's old terraced house.

Earlier that day, he noted how much everything costs, how the youth think money grows on trees, and how in his day "kids could have more fun we do without a halfpenny in their spending pocket." As much as England has been modernized and fit to look American, I think they've maintained a good deal of personality (from my American perspective). I was offered cereal, which offered an "American taste" and I noticed how the flea arket setting in their mall has changed since last time I had been. The culture my grandad so keenly remembered, was disappearing and I can attest to the small bit I remembered changing. Even England is slowly but surely losing its small cottage coziness and I already miss it. A good of it is empathy with my grandad, but there is truth to it. (Did I mention the fact that nearly every English teenager I've conversed with wishes he or she lived in America?!)

On a lighter note, there have been many wonderful blasts back into my past: english custard and toffee, english sweets and England's kooky spelling of her words. So many entees bring back such sweet delectable memories. Oatcakes, jelly, yorkshire pudding, all the other puddings (which in England is synonymous for dessert), and .. every single food that I would have no greater pleasure in than bringing them back home for my friends to experience. Alas 3 dozen oatcakes (which feeds a family for 3 meals) costs £65 to ship, which is about $100 in U.S. currency. The duty (taxes) makes it nigh impossible to send any postage (mail). And my friends shipping themselves over here is no cheaper

No comments:

Post a Comment