Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Subcultural Study

Midlands, England. Though a good majority of my family calls this home, I have to call (on the telephone) to speak with them. I've been out here a hand's count, the last time being nine years ago, I believe. I say "out here" because I'm here now getting to know most of my family for the first time as an adult.... and I've been studying them--in a good way. I like their manners and their mannerisms, their hospitility and their general subculture. Granted, I may be shockingly biased, but if I do say so myself the common folk in England have good lives and have a good time at it.
Most of the problems in America, I believe, are political and social. I say this because I've noticed that England is "left-sided". Not necessarily politically, but in general interactions. Not only do they pass eachother on the left side of the road, but they also hug the left aisle in the grocery marts and while taking the stairs grasp the left handrail. When they talk to you, they shift their faces to the left and pass cups with their left hand. Me, trying to mimic their dialect and manners, have adopted several of these "left-sided" tendencies. I now hold my fork with my left hand and jab my food with the underside of my fork visible to eyes; I cut with my knife in the right.
This may have no relevant implications, but for the time being, it's giving me a good deal of "myrgth" as the english would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment