Saturday, July 24, 2010

a teetotaler among drunkards is not esteemed

A prude and one who is prudent, they can be quite synonymous; however, being called a prude is rarely considered a compliment. It does (prude) have a noble past though. According to New World, the change for the worse took place in the French language. French prude first had a good sense, a "wise woman," but apparently a woman could be too wise or, in the eyes of some, too observant of decorum and propriety. Proud, high nosed and pretentious: they are all closer synonyms to the now derogatory term "prude." I say this because as I am growing older, I am coming to create my own moral absolutes and practical proverbs and in my thought prudence, I am often called this.

"You ain't a [insert last name here], Kyle," some members of my hosting relatives will jokingly say (Not that they are drunkards or that I disrespect their choices in any way haha). "Oh, they must have got it wrong at the hospital then, my mistake" I'll reply with a laugh. "I'll double check the birth records..." Such a response is enough for some members of my kin, but I have to get really creative in my retorts with others. The fact of the matter is that I don't like drinking alcohol; although, when legal, I will have a glass of light wine or similar.. and I have my reasons:
1. Most of my life, I will inhabit the body of an old man and every day that goes by increases the percentage of my life I will be "old." I want to be comfortable in my old age and I know that requires me looking after my young body; they are, after all, the same body.
2. I can have just as good of a time without drinking and after I have refused a refill half a dozen times, I get to enjoy myself while retaining sensible judgment.
There you have it; although I have a thousand more things to say on this matter, I'll save those for my next edition. My main point is that character traits are not revered cross culturally, and therefore cannot be universal. A fool will think himself wise cross-culturally, and all men (not just wise men) have the ability to think others are fools (in order to think yourself a wise-man, a comparison must be made in which you are the victor). I'll continue later.

No comments:

Post a Comment