Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Your Career Boy!! Hurry Now; I Haven't Got All Day!"

In England, after grade school a student can enroll in sixth form college. Full-time primary education is compulsory for all children between 5 and 16 years and optionally one may then continue his or her secondary education for a further two years (sixth form), leading most typically to an A level qualification. Higher education typically begins with a 3-year Bachelor's Degree. Postgraduate degrees include Master's Degrees, either taught or by research, and Doctor of Philosophy, a research degree that usually takes at least 3 years (similar to in America). My point in saying this is that since most of my cousins (all similar age to me--a dozen or so) have forgone postgraduate education and have taken trades which provide on-the-job training, I've been asked a lot about my career/soon coming career.
"Well...." starts my long winded response as I think to myself, 'I need to condense this explanation. No one wants to hear this.' I continue, "I'm in college right now with a laundry list of credentials and aspirations for the future. I want to be a youth minister for a time and go to law school... oh write books and record music and build a house. I want to retire with a tea shop and conservatory filled with rare plants and books." --All of these things are true, but they're hardly the responses a person is looking for. I realize that life may take me in a million directions, but I really only have to speculate one at a time. So from now on, I'll say "Youth Ministry and wherever the wind blows."

But I do want to create a list of things I'd like to do at some point in life. So I'll get right on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment